What is recovery?
Recovery is different for each person but often involves things like:
- Developed strategies to be able to support self
- Better understandings of personal experiences
- Improved relationships (e.g. feeling more comfortable around others, having more interest in interacting with others, spending more time with friends and family)
- Connections with the outside world (e.g. engaging in work, school, volunteer activities, hobbies/other leisure or recreational activities)
- A focus on important personal life goals (e.g. becoming more likely to make plans for the future, setting goals, and taking steps towards reaching them)
What is OnTrackNY?
OnTrackNY is an innovative treatment program for adolescents and young adults who recently have had unusual thoughts and behaviors or who have started hearing or seeing things that others don’t. OnTrackNY helps people achieve their goals for school, work, and relationships. Programs are located throughout New York State.
OnTrackNY also provides consultation and training, as well as manuals and web-based resources, to programs and State agencies that would like to implement Coordinated Specialty Care teams for people with early psychosis.
How soon should I get help?
Studies show that seeking care early provides our best hope for supporting you in your process. If left unaddressed, these thoughts, feelings, and behaviors can become worse over time. The sooner you get care and treatment, the stronger your abilities to meet your needs.
How can I talk about my problems?
If you are under 18 years old, you need a parent or guardian’s permission to participate in OnTrackNY. Talking to your family about your challenges may be hard, but it’s important so that others can understand and support you in getting what you need.
You can talk about the kinds of experiences you’re having and how they make you feel. You might be afraid about opening up. Tell your parent or guardian about how your challenges are affecting your schoolwork or your relationships. Maybe you’re having trouble concentrating in class, or maybe you’ve lost interest in your friends.
A good idea is to have your parent or guardian look at this site and read about the OnTrackNY Program. It will help them become aware of others who have the same experiences you’re having and understand that getting support is important.